Specialized Transition Services

Transition services are to be discussed and documented by the Individual Education Plan (IEP) Team when the student is no older than 14 years. A self directed statement of long term goals in the Transition Areas of Employment, Post-Secondary Education and Training, Independent Living and Community Participation are to be made at the IEP meeting. The student’s course of study to reach these goals is then considered. The student’s needs in the above Transition Areas are addressed in his/her annual goals and the assistance of any additional agencies and contacts is documented. The implementation of any new services or technologies is also documented at this time, as they are related to the Transition Area goals.

If within the process of considering the student’s transition goals, the team decides additional transition services are needed; their case manager will refer students to the Office of Career Education and Planning for coordination of these services. Some identifiable triggers to a referral are outlined below:

  • Psychiatric Issues
  • Students whose reading ability is significantly below peers (non-readers)
  • Students with mild/moderate cognitive impairments
  • Students who will require moderate assistance applying for and sustaining employment
  • Students who require more in-depth career exploration/development
  • Chronic academic failure

Additional transition service may include the following:

  • Special Driver’s Education
  • Visiting Adult Service Agencies
  • Applying to the Office of Rehabilitative Services (ORS)
  • Applying to the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
  • Applying for SSI
  • Specialized Vocational Evaluation
  • Assisted Career Exploration and Training
  • College Exploration